Skincare Ingredients ExplainedPosted by Shiana Shin on
ALLANTOIN (Aluminum Dihydroxy Allantoinate) -
A major metabolic intermediate in organisms. It is an extract from the comfrey plant.
- Exfoliates and moisturizes dry skin.
- Stimulates growth of new skin cells
- Protects skin.
- Provides a youthful and bright appearance.
ALOE VERA -
A plant species that grows all around the world. The “meat” of the aloe vera is used to treat skin conditions.
- Hydrates and soothes skin.
- Calms down redness.
- Treats acne and lightens blemishes.
- Anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory.
- Antibacterial properties, heals small wounds and minor cuts.
ALPHA ARBUTIN (Hydroquinone β-D-Glucopyranoside) -
An antioxidant and skin brightener that is naturally found in the bearberry plant.
- Reduces hyperpigmentation and dark spots.
- Brightens without irritating the skin.
- Fades acne scars.
- Can be combined with other actives.
BAKUCHIOL (Psoralea Corylifolia) -
An extract derived from the leaves and seed of the babchi plant, which is commonly used in traditional Eastern medicine.
- Help heal, calm, and soothe the skin.
- Reduces wrinkles and hyperpigmentation.
- Firms skin, and minimizes the appearance of pores.
- Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
BISABOLOL (Alpha Bisabolol) -
An active ingredient in a German chamomile. Used as an ingredient in cosmetic and skin care products.
- Moisturizes dry and flaky skin.
- Contains anti-aging properties to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Includes calming agents, potentially fades discoloration.
CBD OIL (Cannabidiol) -
An active ingredient derived from the hemp plant. CBD can decrease pain and inflammation.
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- Reduce inflammation and redness associated with acne/blemishes.
- Soothes irritation from skin conditions from psoriasis and eczema.
A natural concentrated group of fats/lipids found in skin cells. Ceramides make up around 50% of skin’s composition.
- Locks in moisture to prevent skin from irritation and drying out.
- Protects skin from external, environmental irritants (i.e. dust, pollen, etc.)
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
A lightweight carbon material. Charcoal is ground down to a fine for black powder to incorporate into skincare products.
- Removes excess oil from the skin.
- Detoxifies and purifies pores.
- Minimizes the appearance of pores.
- Shrinks pores and tightens skin.
COLLOIDAL OATMEAL -
The nutrients of oatmeal are extracted for better absorption when it is placed in a liquid medium.
- Skin protectant.
- Antioxidants from oats soothe irritated skin.
- Moisturizes and prevents water loss from the surface of the skin.
- Non-irritating which makes it an ideal ingredient from all skin types.
FERULIC ACID -
An organic antioxidant used to decrease the signs of aging. It is used in anti-aging products.
- Fights free radicals.
- Decreases inflammation.
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines, dark spots, wrinkles and other signs of aging.
GLYCERIN (Glycerol) -
A natural compound that attracts moisture from the environment to distribute moisture to the skin.
- Moisturizes and softens skin.
- Hydrates the outer layer of the skin to reduce itching and flaking.
- Improves skin barrier function and skin mechanical properties
- Provides protection against irritants.
GLYCOLIC ACID -
A water-soluble AHA, made from sugar canes. Natural acids that derive from plants.
- Promotes collagen formation.
- Exfoliates and rejuvenates your skin.
- Anti-aging and hydrating.
- Evens out skin tone and reduces wrinkles and dark spots.
- Cleans pores to prevent acne, and reduce the appearance of pores.
GRAPESEED OIL -
An oil extracted from the seeds of grapes. It quickly penetrates the skin, leaving skin soft and moisturized.
- Moisturizes dehydrated skin.
- Provides a clear, smooth skin tone.
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Contains antioxidants.
- Treats blemishes and acne.
GREEN TEA -
Derived from the plant, Camellia sinensis. Green tea is produced from steaming, pan frying, and/or drying the leaves of the plant.
- Reduces production of excess sebum and clears clogged pores.
- Provides a protective layer to the skin and soothes irritated skin.
- Contains antioxidants.
- Helps improve damaged skin.
- Protects the skin from sun damage.
HYALURONIC ACID -
A natural polysaccharide found in skin that holds moisture. Has the ability to replenish moisture to the skin.
- Provides cushioning, and aids tissue repair.
- Holds together collagen and elastin, and helps create a barrier against microorganisms.
- Reduces or removes the appearance of wrinkles.
A gel-forming agent that creates an optimal moist environment to heal wounds.
- Helps relieve pain and promotes healing.
- Absorbs oils and fluids from pores.
- Waterproof dressings/bandages.
LACTIC ACID -
This acid is a type of AHA found in dairy products. It is a common skincare ingredient that is used as an exfoliant.
- Evens out skin texture by removing old, dead skin cells.
- Rejuvenates skin texture.
- Aids in the removal of skin impurities and congestion.
- Offers a brighter skin complexion.
LICORICE ROOT -
The extract from the licorice root has been used to treat a variety of health conditions for years.
- Brightens skin.
- Inhibits the production of dark spots.
- Minimizes the production of melanin to reduce discoloration.
- Fade existing dark spots.
- Reduces inflammation.
Certain mushrooms have been used in Asia for their ability to improve and preserve a youthful appearance.
- Builds up the skin’s moisture barrier, which prevents water loss and keeps skin hydrated.
- Reduces irritation.
- Helps improve the look of wrinkles.
NIACINAMIDE (Nicotinamide) -
A form of a water-soluble vitamin B3 (niacin). The essential nutrient for your skin.
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-aging.
- Regulates sebum production.
- Minimizes pores, fine lines and wrinkles.
- Reduces hyperpigmentation and revitalizes skin.
- Soothes rosacea and brightens skin.
PETROLEUM JELLY (Petrolatum) -
A semi-solid mixture of hydrocarbons, originally promoted as a topical ointment for its healing properties.
- Seals in moisture.
- Accelerates the healing of wounds.
- Soothes cuts and abrasions.
- Treats skin conditions like eczema.
PHYTONCIDE (Aroma of the Forest) -
Plants emit phytoncide, an organic plant compound, to defend themselves against harmful insects and decomposition.
- Revitalizes skin texture.
- Helps soothe inflamed skin.
- Protects skin from pollutants.
- Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory to help keep skin clear.
POLYHYDROXY ACID (PHA) -
PHAs offer similar benefits to AHAs but are less likely to irritate the skin. For sensitive skin.
- Removes dead cells.
- Promotes even skin tone and texture.
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Moisturizing, and helps strengthen skin barrier function.
RETINOL (Vitamin A) -
A fat-soluble vitamin A. Retinol is an antioxidant that has anti-aging properties.
- Helps to fight key signs of aging. Reduces the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and enlarged pores.
- Evens out skin complexion.
- Boosts collagen production.
- Unclog pores and clears acne.
A poly-unsaturated hydrocarbon liquid that is formed naturally in organic organisms.
- Hydrates and improves skin softness.
- Contains antioxidants to protect the surface of the skin.
- Antibacterial and treats acne.
- Anti-inflammatory and ideal for all skin types.
TEA TREE OIL (Melaleuca Oil) -
An essential oil derived from the leaves of the Australian tea tree plant.
- Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and antifungal.
- Relieves pain and irritation from acne.
- Treats dandruff.
- Kills bacteria, fungus, and mites.
- Should never be ingested.
TRANEXAMIC ACID -
"A synthetic derivative of the amino acid lysine." It is an ingredient used to provide an even complexion.
- Brightens skin and soothes redness from the skin.
- Reduces dark spots and lightens discolored skin to provide a clearer skin complexion.
- Improves uneven skin tone.
VITAMIN C -
A water-soluble vitamin found in various foods. Contains antioxidants for brightening skin.
- Brightens skin complexion.
- Improves skin tone and texture.
- Reduces the appearance of dark spots.
- Hydrates the skin, and reduces signs of aging.
- Tags: acne allantoin aloe vera alpha arbutin bakuchiol bisabolol cbd oil charcoal collodial oatmeal glycerin glycolic acid grapeseed oil green tea hyaluronic acid hydrocolloid licorice root mushroom niacinamide petroleum jelly phytoncide polyhydroxy acids retinol skincare squalane tea tree oil tranexamic acid vitamin c