Stress releases hormones into the bloodstream and creates different reactions in the skin. How do you know if your skin is stressed out? You may experience one or more of these symptoms:
- feels itchy
- dryness - chronic stress increases the hormone cortisol, which hurts the skin's ability to hold onto water
- redness - increased blood flow may cause the capillaries to expand
- acne - stress increases the inflammation that leads to breakouts
Stress can be environmental or external, like extreme cold or hot weather, over-exfoliating, or over-use of products. Internal conditions, such as hormones, or just feeling general stress from day-to-day activities.
Aside from de-stressing and exercise, what can you do? There are ingredients that can de-stress and restore the glow in your skin
- Aloe leaves secrete a clear gel that when broken off from the rest of the plant that can be applied topically to heal wounds and soothe skin. There are endless benefits to aloe, including protecting against the sun, moisturizing, and helping fight acne.
- Centella Asiatica is a medicinal herb that is widely used in Asia and is becoming popular in the West. It is known to reduce redness and decrease inflammation.
- Propolis is a substance is made by bees and mainly used to fill in honeycomb crevices for protection. It has antimcrmibial actions and antiviral properties which have beefits fors stressed out skin or those with acne.