There are many myths surrounding skincare and beauty tips. These tips are expensive and even damaging to your skin. We put together some tips that dermatologists hate hearing:
- Popping pimples will make them go away faster - pimple popping is not recommended, but if you must - pimples that are mature (come to a white head) are safe to pop. Popping pimples that have not come to a head can lead to scarring and infection.
- Toothpaste as a home remedy - there is no actual evidence that toothpaste will help heal pimples. Toothpaste contains hydrogen peroxide, which may cause pimples to become smaller temporarily. However, other ingredients in toothpaste can irritate the skin and may cause more breakouts.
- Moisturizers don't work on everyone - If your skin is still dry after moisturizing, you need a thicker moisturizer. In other cases, there are too many dead cells built up so moisturizer can't reach your skin. If this is the case, exfoliate on a weekly basis.
- Sunscreen is only necessary if you're outside - Sunscreen needs to be worn all year round. You need protection in your car and if you're around window because glass protects against UVB rays, not UVA rays.
- Oily skin means you need to wash more - You should only wash your skin 2 times away so you don't strip away your skin's natural oils.