7 Foods that are known to cause acne - and some alternatives to what to try instead.
1. Dairy - The American Academy of Dermatology says there may be a link between milk consumption & breakouts. Dairy may cause an increase in some pimple-producing hormones. Try switching to almond milk, rice milk or coconut milk instead!
2. Sugar - Sugar can cause breakouts because it's pro-inflammatory (acne is considered a inflammatory condition). Instead of processed sugar, try eating fruit instead.
3. Soy - There are natural plant estrogens in soy and that can cause your hormone levels to change. If you have breakouts near your mouth or jaw, soy products such as tofu, can be a contributing factor.
4. Coffee - The acid found in coffee beans raises stress hormone levels that cause inflammation. Try tea instead!
5. Bread - Wheat causes inflammation and as discussed above, acne is a inflammatory condition. Try to avoid any food that causes inflammation to avoid breakouts.
6. Coconut oil - Coconut oil is known to clog pores, creating inflammation. This goes for coconut oil that is found in foods and found in creams, ointment, and lotion.
7. Peanuts - Peanuts make people more oily by increasing sebum, which in an oily substance found in skin. Instead of peanuts, try cashews and almonds which do not affect these levels.
Acne is an inflammatory condition so try to stick to natural foods that won't disrupt your hormone or stress levels. Everyone is different and everyone has different limits on what they can eat before causing an acne reaction. There is no single cause to breakouts and acne but stick to fresh food, gluten-free grains, and health fats to to help your skin and more importantly, a healthy body :)